Re: [Xen-devel] xl block-attach vs block-detach

On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 16:33 +0000, Jan Beulich wrote:
> So it seems that "xl block-attach" allows a variety of ways to specify the
> devices ID (xvdN, dNpN, decimal or hex number) - why is it that the
> inverse operation ("xl block-detach") can't deal with anything by a decimal
> number?

Just an omission?

> Further, why is it that with no blktap module loaded I'm getting an
> incomplete attach when using the (deprecated) file:/ format for
> specifying the backing file? It reports that it would be using qdisk,
> and blkfront also sees the device appearing, but all I'm seeing in the
> kernel log is the single message from blkfront's probe function.

What do you mean by "incomplete"? What else would you expect to see?

What do the xenstore entries for the device look like?

> (With no blktap in pv-ops, I wonder how file backed disks work there.)

file backed disks without blktap use the qdisk backend supplied by qemu.

> When trying to detach such a broken device I'm getting
> "unrecognized disk backend type: 0", and the remove fails.

What version of xen is this?

libxl__device_disk_from_xs_be tries to read the backend type from
xenstore, the be "type" node. Is that present for you?

libxl_string_to_backend looks a bit suspect to me...

Ian.