[Xen-devel] 4.2 TODO update

This update covers two weeks since I was away last week.

As usual please ping me with any updates/corrections. There are several
things below which are in need of a volunteer to take care of them...

hypervisor, blockers:
      * domctls / sysctls set up to modify scheduler parameters, like
        the credit1 timeslice and schedule rate. (George Dunlap, DONE)

tools, blockers:
      * libxl stable API -- we would like 4.2 to define a stable API
        which downstream's can start to rely on not changing. Aspects of
        this are:
              * add libxl_defbool and generally try and arrange that
                memset(foo,0,...) requests the defaults (Ian Campbell,
                DONE)
              * Safe fork vs. fd handling hooks. This is an API
                addition, so maybe not required fro stable API, bit need
                to have for 4.2? (Ian J, patches posted)
      * xl feature parity with xend wrt driver domain support (George
        Dunlap)
      * More formally deprecate xm/xend. Manpage patches already in
        tree. Needs release noting and communication around -rc1 to
        remind people to test xl.
      * Correct paging/sharing tools buffer mlocking (Tim, Andres, DONE)
      * xl support for "rtc_timeoffset" and "localtime" (Nobody AFAICT)
      * Domain 0 block attach & general hotplug when using qdisk backend
        (need to start qemu as necessary etc)
      * file:// backend performance. qemu-xen-tradition's qdisk is quite
        slow & blktap2 not available in upstream kernels. Need to
        consider our options:
              * qemu-xen's qdisk is thought to be well performing but
                qemu-xen is not yet the default. Complexity arising from
                splitting qemu-for-qdisk out from qemu-for-dm and
                running N qemu's.
              * potentially fully userspace blktap could be ready for
                4.2
              * use /dev/loop+blkback. This requires loop driver AIO and
                O_DIRECT patches which are not (AFAIK) yet upstream.
              * Leverage XCP's blktap2 DKMS work.
              * Other ideas?

hypervisor, nice to have:
      * solid implementation of sharing/paging/mem-events (using work
        queues) (Tim Deegan, Olaf Herring et al -- is this happening? is
        it DONE even?)

tools, nice to have:
      * Hotplug script stuff -- internal to libxl (I think, therefore I
        didn't put this under stable API above) but still good to have
        for 4.2? (Roger Pau MonnÃ, patches posted)
      * Block script support -- follows on from hotplug script (Roger
        Pau MonnÃ)
      * Configure/control paging via xl/libxl (Olaf Herring, lots of
        discussion around interface)
      * Upstream qemu feature patches:
              * Upstream qemu PCI passthrough support (Anthony Perard,
                patches sent)
              * Upstream qemu save restore (Anthony Perard, Stefano
                Stabellini, patches sent, waiting for upstream ack)
      * Nested-virtualisation (currently should be marked experimental,
        likely to release that way? Consider nested-svm separate to
        nested-vmx. Nested-svm is in better shape)
      * Initial xl support for Remus (memory checkpoint, blackholing)
        (Shriram, patches posted, blocked behind qemu save restore
        patches)
      * xl support for autospawning vncviewer (vncviewer=1 or otherwise)
        (Nobody AFAICT)
      * support for vif "rate" parameter (No one, AFAICT)