Re: [Xen-devel] Unable to find Python development headers

Adding Roger.
On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 03:59 +0100, KUWAMURA Shin'ya wrote:
> Hi Yang,

> > When running ./configure, I get the following error message:
> > checking for python... /usr/bin/python
> > checking for python version >= 2.3 ... yes
> > ./configure: line 6147: python-config: command not found
> > ./configure: line 6228: python-config: command not found
> > checking Python.h usability... no
> > checking Python.h presence... no
> > checking for Python.h... no
> > configure: error: Unable to find Python development headers
> > I use rhel5.5 and here is the installed python RPM on my box:
> > Is there any pkg I need to install?
>
> Python 2.4 does not have python-config.

I think we need handle this case with a fallback for pytyhon 2.3 and 2.4
which doesn't use python-config.

What did we used to do pre-autoconf?

> If you don't require Python tools, you can run:
>   ./configure --disable-pythontools
>
> Or you may avoid it:
>   ./configure APPEND_INCLUDES=/usr/include/python2.4/
>
> However, you will find an another issue:
>
> checking for PyArg_ParseTuple in -l... no
> configure: error: Unable to find a suitable python development library

Presumably this is a knock on effect from the previous failure and the
workaround you tried, which looks incomplete to me. I expect you need to
add -lpythonX.Y to some variable or other but the right solution is to
fix the python detection for the older python versions.