Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-users] [REQUEST] Request for Xen Users to Attempt Jean David Techer's Xen 4.2-unstable VGA Passthrough Documentation

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 04:08:09PM -0400, Casey DeLorme wrote:
>    Hi Pasi,
>    I can confirm that their GPU Passthrough works with consumer models, they
>    visited my college and presented a 30 minute demonstration video where
>    they acknowledged this.

Yes, XenClient works with consumer models, like I wrote earlier.
XenServer GPU passthru doesn't.

>    Wei stated that XenClient ahs a "customized ATI component", and I am quite
>    certain he is aware our discussion is about consumer models.

Note that some/most of those "customized tweaks" to make XenClient work
are not in upstream Xen repositories and also not in XenServer.
XenClient is a customized product for some specific chipsets/laptops.

XenClient and XenServer have totally different way of working related to
graphics passthru stuff.

>    XenClient comes with XenDesktop, they market to the on-the-go businessman
>    so it was designed with laptops in mind, but I am quite sure it would run
>    on a tower.

I wouldn't count on that.. afaik XenClient has pretty limited hardware
support/certification.

-- Pasi