Re: [Xen-devel] fatal error if Flex and Bison is not configured

El 12/04/2012, a las 12:24, Ian Campbell escribió:
> On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 12:12 +0100, zhihao wang wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I try to build xen 4.2( revision number: 25161) on Ubuntu 11.10_amd64,
>> Mac pro. After running ./configure and make. I got the following fatal
>> error:
>>
>> libxlu_cfg_y.y:22:26: fatal error: libxlu_cfg_l.h: No such file or
>> directory compilation terminated.
>>

>> So the original libxlu_cfg_l.h is deleted when making, and should be
>> regenerated but it is not.
>
> Actually it should never have been deleted in the first place, unless
> you have been modifying the flex source.
>
> Please can you enumerate the exact steps you took, starting from the
> initial clone of the repo, which caused the file to be deleted?
>
>> I find the path of flex and bison is not set.  When I add the correct
>> path of flex and bison in tools.mk manually, This error is fixed.
>
> Those tools should be optional since the generated files are checked in.
> However perhaps configure should detect and provide the paths but behave
> in a non-fatal manner if they aren't available? Roger, what do you
> think?

We stopped checking for bison and flex, but we left the variables, so if the
user sets BISON and FLEX in their environment everything should be ok. Since
this seems to be a common problem one possible solution is to check for BISON
and FLEX on the libxl Makefile when needed (and in configure in a non fatal
manner), and if not found, print an error message telling the user to rerun
configure, instead of just failing ungracefully. I've just send a patch that I
think fixes this issue.