Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] xen udev rule interfering with openvpn

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 16:26 +0100, Teck Choon Giam wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 9:21 PM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>> So what is the final prefix/suffix here?  Is it "emu-"?  Sorry, need
>> to counter check :p
>
> I think we have agreed on a "-emu" suffix.

Thanks and I will update my backport to reflect this "-emu" instead of
"xentap-" as well then test ;)

>> Question... vifname is limited to 16 characters?  If so, does the
>> configuration for xm/xl check for its allowable length?  I mean if a
>> user set vifname more than its allowable length in the domU
>> configuration, would xm/xl show error?
>
> I can't see any existing check for the length of the vif name.
>
> It's a bit hard for us to do, consider a network driver domain running a
> kernel which has a different, or no, limit here. libxl might not have
> any idea what that name limit should be. We could pick an arbitrary
> limit which is the smallest we know of, e.g. 12 chars (to allow +4), I
> suppose.
>
> BTW, the failure if your name is too long will be that the vif hotplug
> script will fail to rename the device.

Ok, noted.

> This limit has long existed and I don't recall ever having seen a report
> about it, maybe the failure case is so obvious that people just fix it
> and move on. I also expect that setting such a long name is rare...

Yes, rare I agree but you know some _rare_ users... ... As long as the
error is obvious then I think this shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Kindest regards,
Giam Teck Choon