Re: [Xen-devel] [hybrid]: unable to boot hvm due to eflags.ID

On Fri, 2012-05-04 at 03:10 +0100, Mukesh Rathor wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> At a loss trying to figure why
>   if (has_eflag(X86_EFLAGS_ID))
>
> returns false in my HVM domU. Standard function has_eflag() in
> cpucheck.c running in real mode. Works fine on PV dom0,

Are you sure code in cpucheck.c is even being called for the PV/dom0
case? I'm reasonably sure that PV Xen boot doesn't go anywhere near
arch/x86/boot -- we have a totally different entry point.

> but fails when guest is booting on my hybrid dom0.

What does the guest EFLAGS actually contain at this point? Is it
different to what it contains on non-hybrid dom0?

How do we execute 16 bit code in a VMX guest these days, using vm86 or
by emulation? How does that interact with EFLAGS_ID I wonder (although
why hybrid dom0 would have any bearing on this I've no idea).