Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable test] 12876: tolerable FAIL - PUSHED

On Tue, 15 May 2012, Jan Beulich wrote:
> wrote:
> >>
> >> CCing Stefano who made the patch to have PV guests use this guy. Please
> >> do share details when you have them.
> >
> > I would prefer precise bug reports, and possibly patches, to "somewhat
> > unreliable" :-)
>
> Of course. But we barely got past all the basic issues...
>
> > Please note that the userspace disk backend is basically the same in
> > upstream QEMU and qemu-xen-traditional,
>
> I understand that, ...
>
> > so switching back to the old
> > QEMU for pv guests wouldn't improve anything.
>
> ... and I didn't mean to suggest that. I was rather trying to hint
> towards continuing to use blkback as default backend.

blkback is still the default backend for physical partitions and LVM
volumes, but without direct_IO support in loop.c is unsafe for files.
I wouldn't want to run my VM on a disk that is basically stored in RAM.
Also we don't really have choice when it comes to QCOW and QCOW2 images.