Re: [Xen-devel] [IDEA] xendhcp proposal

2012/5/16 George Shuklin <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Good day.
>
> During automated VM deploy I found some very annoying problem - network VM
> configuration. Classic DHCP is not very easy to manage in virtual
> environment (protection from stray DHCP-servers, problems with
> autoidentification).
>
> Problems are:
> * how to identificate VM?
> * how to provide network configuration in native way for guest (e.g. support
> of mount order for network fs, if-up scripts and so on)
> * how to reconfigure hosts 'on demand'? (even DHCP is not very 'on demand'
> beause of lease time).
>
> Propose:
>
> Store network configuration in domain part of xenstore, use xendhcp service
> to read those data from guest and acts like classic dhcp client.
>
> Implementation detail:
>
> 1) Store data in DHCP-like way (option code - answer).
> 2) Subscribe for changes and reacts to it like we have lease expiration.
> 3) xendhcp should replace normal dhcp (may be even with conclict in packages
> with original dhcp client, and provide it functionality), mimic
> /sbin/dhclient functionality.
>
> That allows to keep original network configuration for every distribution,
> just put 'dhcp' method for debian 'interfaces' (and same way for every other
> operation system).
>
> What you think about this?

For me (russia cloud provider clodo.ru), sounds very good. Now we
already have handwritten dhcp like interface to bootstrap vm (pass all
params in /proc/cmdline). Only one thing that missing - how about many
ips? If i want to issign 10 ip with specific routes, how can i deal
with this in this case?
Or xendhcp up only one main ip?

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,