Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] xen udev rule interfering with openvpn

On Sun, 2012-05-13 at 01:39 +0100, Teck Choon Giam wrote:
> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 7:37 AM, Teck Choon Giam
> <giamteckchoon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 6:30 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:

> >> Oh dear.

> >> Which ones fail?

> > xm create hvmdomain with vifname set
> >

> > I track down the problem already.  It happens that xm and xl behave
> > differently when creating $dev device?
> >
> > In short, just set $dev down before:
> > do_or_die ip link set "$dev" name "$vifname"
> > Then set $vifname up after the above fix my problem.
> >
> > Is the above suitable in upstream/unstable?  If yes, can you fix that
> > in xen-unstable or you need me to submit a patch for review for
> > xen-unstable?
> >
> > With the below partial of my latest backport patch fix the problem but
> > I have to re-run all tests to double confirm all are fix and good to
> > go :p
>
> Attached is my final backport for xen-4.1-testing which passed all my
> tests as stated below:
>
> 1. xm create pvdomain without vifname set
> 2. xl create pvdomain without vifname set
> 3. xm create hvmdomain without vifname set
> 4. xl create hvmdomain without vifname set
> 5. xm create pvdomain with vifname set
> 6. xl create pvdomain with vifname set
> 7. xm create hvmdomain with vifname set
> 8. xl create hvmdomain with vifname set
>
> My initial backport patch failed for test no. 7 and when I perform
> test for all the above in latest xen-unstable it failed in test no. 7
> as well.

OK, can we concentrate on the xen-unstable failure first, hopefully
addressing that will naturally fix 4.1 too but I don't wan't to get
confused between the two.

How does case #7 fail? Do you get both devices created but not placed on
the bridge or something else?

What names do the devices end up with? ("ifconfig -a", while guest is
running, "brctl show" also useful)

What is the qemu command line? (from ps, while guest is running)

What is the name in xenstore? ("xenstore-ls -fp", again while guest is
running)

Thanks, sorry for the delay in responding to this one.

Ian.