Re: [Xen-devel] Xenoprof on Xen-4.1.2

On 29/05/12 16:29, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 01:38:37PM +0800, suixiufeng wrote:
Hi:
    I want to use xenoprof (patched oprofile-0.9.5) to profile VM (both HVM
and PV) apps and kernel performance based on passive domains. My platform
is as follows:
    CPU:Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5620  @ 2.40GHz
    Hypervosir: Xen 4.1.2
    Dom0 kernel: linux 2.6.38.2
    I am not sure whether xenoprof can work on this platform.
*   As soon as I start xenoprof in passive domain mode, the VM can't run
workload immediately (The VM doesn't crash. If I ping the VM from other
machine, the response time is really high ). I can't input any commands
through the console prompt. *
Do you have the patches applied to the kernel to use oprofile?

The Xeon E5620 processor has model number 0x2c (Westmere class), neither the Xen or the latest upstream Linux kernel have oprofile support for this processor.

http://lxr.linux.no/linux+*/arch/x86/oprofile/nmi_int.c#L642
http://xenbits.xen.org/hg/xen-unstable.hg/file/52ffce7a036e/xen/arch/x86/oprofile/nmi_int.c#l344