[Xen-devel] Disable paging in xen kernel

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Zeinab Alebouyeh <z.alebouyeh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 23:04:53 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 06:05:23 +0000

Hi

I want to write a program in xen that runs in ring 0 and in unpaged protected mode.
For this,  I add a hypercall and in my hypercall function write my code. I test my hypercall, it works properly.
I see the value of CR0 register and I found that the PE and PG bits are 1. It means that I am in protected mode with paging enabled.
In order to disable paging I want to set bit 31 of cr0 to 0, I write the bellowing code in my hypercall function:

asm volatile(
"movl %cr0,%eax\n\t"
"and 0x7fffffff,%eax\n\t"
"movl %eax,%cr0"
);
But when I invoke my hypercall the system restart!!!
Can anyone tell me where is my fault and how should I disable paging in xen kernel?

With kindest regards