Re: [Xen-devel] Pv_ops Dom0 crash on IBM eServer x3400

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alex Moskalenko <mav@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 14:19:18 +0400
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 10:19:38 +0000

08.06.2012 11:43, Jan Beulich ÐÐÑÐÑ:
On 07.06.12 at 11:29, Alex Moskalenko<mav@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
I ran into a trouble when trying to run Xen 4.1.x with pv_ops kernel on
IBM eServer x3400. Without noacpi command line option dom0 kernel
crashes on ACPI initialization. Kermels 2.6.32 (with konrad xen
patches), 3.1, 3.3, Xen 4.1.2 behave the same way. Without hypervisor
all kernels run without any problems.
This is an issue that was reported and discussed previously.
Fundamentally, it is a firmware problem from my pov: ACPI has
_nothing_ to do with the MMIO space used for the IO-APICs of
the system once they are under control of the OS. It shouldn't
even be reading from them (which iirc was the case in earlier
reports), but in your case it looks like it's even writing them. I
had been considering to allow Dom0 read access to those pages,
but obviously this wouldn't help in your case.

Could you extract and supply the ACPI tables of that system, so
we can make an attempt at checking whether there is some reason
for the firmware writing to the IO-APIC that we didn't think of so
far?
Please see attached archive. Tables are grabbed with acpidump -b under Xen 4.1.2 and patched kernel 2.6.32.

--
WBR, Alex Moskalenko