Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable bisection] complete test-amd64-amd64-xl-win7-amd64

On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 14:43 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ian Campbell writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable bisection] complete
> test-amd64-amd64-xl-win7-amd64"):
> > It's an odd one -- the logs seem to show the guest has started but the
> > patch in question would (or should!) cause an early error return during
> > build. It's possible that the recent test system outage has caused the
> > bisector to get confused but it has fingered this changeset at least
> > twice now.
>
> The bisector has repro'd this on the same host with 6 tests:
> alternately failures for 9d1fd58ff602 and successes for 32034d1914a6.

Which means it might be unrelated from that specific commit (sorry if
it's a stupid question, just want to be sure I'm getting things
correct :-/ )

> So if it's a heisenbug we've been moderately (but not outrageously)
> unlucky that it actually fingered a specific changeset rather than
> just shrugging its shoulders and moving on.  (It does the latter quite
> a lot.)

Just to be sure, this part of the bisector report:

branch xen-unstable
xen branch xen-unstable
job test-amd64-amd64-xl-win7-amd64
test windows-install

means that the test that failed was 'job
test-amd64-amd64-xl-win7-amd64' (and, specifically, during
'windows-install' phase), right?

I'm asking because I actually found a bug in that change, _but_ it only
comes into play if the SEDF scheduler is being used. In fact, this test
also fails:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~xensrcts/logs/13053/test-amd64-amd64-xl-sedf/info.html

and it does by saying this:

2012-06-16 07:37:47 Z executing ssh ... root@xxxxxxxxxxxxx xl create
/etc/xen/debian.guest.osstest.cfg
libxl: error: libxl.c:3619:sched_sedf_domain_set: setting domain sched sedf:
Invalid argument
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:710:domcreate_bootloader_done: cannot (re-)build
domain: -3
Parsing config from /etc/xen/debian.guest.osstest.cfg

Which is actually related to my patch, and for which I already have a
fix ready.

OTOH, I really don't see how that patch might cause that HVM windows
domain to die, given the log for 'test-amd64-amd64-xl-sedf' says this:

Parsing config from /etc/xen/win.guest.osstest.cfg
Daemon running with PID 2642

Which seems to mean, at least to me, that the check happened without
causing any issues (as it, conversely, does when SEDF is the scheduler).

Anyway, I'll send the patch for the SEDF case and try to reproduce the
bug for the credit+Win7+HVM case.

Thanks and Regards,
Dario