Re: [Xen-devel] Handling of out of memory conditions (was: Re: Strange kernel BUG() on PV DomU boot)

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 3:46 PM, George Dunlap
<George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Right, but 4.2 will not be released until weeks or months :/ And we
>> would like to release Qubes 1.0 within weeks...
>
> FWIW, XenServer has had to tackle this same issue.  As I understand
> it, what they ended up doing was to have a model of how much memory
> they thought each VM was going to use (based on things like guest
> memory, video ram size, number of vcpus, and so on).  They then
> manually try to track how much memory they think each running VM was
> using, and used that to figure out whether they would be able to start
> a new VM or not.  Obviously that's a big pain to set up and keep
> current; but it has actually seems to work tolerably well for them.

And I realize this is basically:
 Patient: "Doc it hurts when I do this" [demonstrates]
 Doctor: "Then don't do that."

It would be great to offer something better, but as Jan said, that's
unfortunately the best that 4.1 has to offer at the moment.

 -George