[Xen-devel] how to check for already existing hypervisor?

Hi guys,

let me shortly introduce myself. I'm a student and recently work on my bachelor
thesis. My goal is to write a little hypervisor.
I'm not quite sure if this is the right mailing list, but i guess you'll gonna
tell me.
i have two quick questions:

1. before i can use the vmxon instruction i do have to set vmxe flag in cr4
register. but what if some hypervisor is already running? is there a way to
check
if one is running??

2. before i set the vmxe bit in cr4, i check if it is already enabled. i do
this while my module gets loaded. but i observed a strange thing. sometimes
the vmxe bit seems to be set while the other time it isn't. do you have any
explanation for that behaviour? do i have to check if the bit is set before
actually setting it? I've looked at a few hypervisor projects and it seems that
no one does it. my primary thought was, if the bit is set a hypervisor is
running,
but i don't think that's true anymore. so do i need the check?

greetings