Re: [Xen-devel] p2m type change confusing emulator

On 07/02/12 16:42, Jan Beulich wrote:

> In a problem report for a non-Linux HVM guest with PV drivers that
> got brought to our attention, an issue in the PV driver code caused
> a XENMAPSPACE_shared_info operation to be issued in a way
> racing ongoing MMIO emulations on other vCPU-s targeting the
> gPFN being changed.
>
> The way MMIO emulation requiring callout into qemu currently works,
> handle_mmio() would be called twice for each such operation. This
> clearly assumes that both operations use consistent paths, which
> is easily violated when between the two operations the p2m type
> of the page operated on changes (in the case at hand, the
> transition was from MMIO [not handled by any device] to RAM,
> i.e. the second run through the emulator didn't even call the
> MMIO related code anymore, leaving the vCPU's io_state in
> HVMIO_completed instead of HVMIO_none, confusing the _next_
> invocation of the emulator, and obfuscating the problem quite
> significantly).

This race also affects nested virtualization where the l1 hypervisor
"forwards" its PCI devices to a guest (Hyper-V).
The race caused MMIO handling to fail because a vcpu could switch
between l2 and l1 guest between running handle_mmio() and running
the softirq. The fix was to run softirq's before switching the
guest state of the vcpu.

Christoph

--
---to satisfy European Law for business letters:
Advanced Micro Devices GmbH