Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable test] 13461: regressions - FAIL

Ian Jackson wrote:
Ian Campbell writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable test] 13461: regressions -
FAIL"):
+        flock -x $_lockfd
+        # We can't just stat /dev/stdin or /proc/self/fd/$_lockfd or
+        # use bash's test -ef because those all go through what is
+        # actually a synthetic symlink in /proc and we aren't
+        # guaranteed that our stat(2) won't lose the race with an
+        # rm(1) between reading the synthetic link and traversing the
+        # file system to find the inum.  Perl is very fast so use that.
+        rightfile=$( perl -e '
Won't this need to become $(PERL) (or @PERL@ and some seddery at install
time) for the benefit of BSD?

This is in tools/hotplug/Linux.  AFAICT at least some of the BSDs have
an fstat(1).

BSD don't currently have any of this locking mechanism, which makes it vulnerable to races regarding hotplug scripts launch. I think libxl should be a better place to perform all this kind of locking, instead of the hotplug scripts, which are already polluted enough, but as far as I know we don't have any kind of inter-process locking mechanism right now?