Re: [Xen-devel] Backport requests of cs 23420..23423 for 4.0 and 4.1

On 19/07/12 22:54, Juergen Gross wrote:
Am 19.07.2012 17:11, schrieb Ian Jackson:
Keir Fraser writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Backport requests of cs 23420..23423 for 4.0
and 4.1"):
On 13/07/2012 07:08, "Juergen Gross"<juergen.gross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
I would like to request to include these changesets in 4.0 and
4.1. The backport is quite trivial, I can send patches if you are
willing to take them.
Will need an Ack from George and then patches applied by (or at least an Ack
from) a tools maintainer.
Thanks for replying Keir, but I'm rather queasy about this.

These patches have not been in any released version of Xen and are
fairly substantial.  I would say that we should not backport anything
that isn't a critical bugfix which hasn't been sitting in a released
version of Xen for a while; and a new feature ought to be considered
very carefully.

Now maybe the unfortunately extended 4.2 release cycle may mean we
should relax this rule but I'd prefer to see a clear justification for
why this is important to retrofit to 4.1.
Live migration is a main high-availability feature of our next release.

A performance degradation of 10% and more will not be easily accepted for
a system which is expected to be up 24/7.
Is there a reason you can't just do as XenServer and XCP have done, and have them in a local patch queue?

Obviously it's better to keep a local patch queue as short as possible, but it doesn't seem like you're really going to be that crippled if we wait to check them in.

 -George