Re: [Xen-devel] Xenstore restart

On Sat, 2012-07-28 at 00:49 +0100, Shakeel Butt wrote:
> I am using xen-4.1-testing with Linux 3.4.3. The hotplug script
> xencommons echoes that xenstore is not restartable. Can anyone tell me
> the exact reason why it is not restartable. I tried to restart
> xenstore by killing the xenstore and restarting it with xencommons but
> after that VM creation doesn't work.

The C xenstored has no mechanism for remembering the list of registered
watches over a restart. Things like the backend drivers in dom0 rely on
watches which are registered at start of day (with no way to reregister)
so if you restart xenstored then they stop working and you can't start
domains etc.

>  I used to do the same with the
> setting <xen-3.4+Linux-2.6.18> and it used to work fine.

Are you sure? I don't think this has ever worked.

It might be possible to restart the ocaml xenstored, if you arrange to
give it the appropriate command line parameters.

Ian.