Re: [Xen-devel] LSI SAS2008 Option Rom Failure

On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 18:52 +0100, David Erickson wrote:
> my assumption is this is because of the error
> in xen-hotplug.log: "RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported",

That's a benign warning AFAIK.

> and here is my ifconfig while ubuntu is booted (without VMs it doesn't
> have the vifs):

This all looks fine. I think you need to be investigating the network
configuration inside the guest. Does the eth* device exist, is it
configured etc

In your Ubuntu boot log I see:
        [    0.000000] Hypervisor detected: Xen HVM
        [    0.000000] Xen version 4.2.
        [    0.000000] Xen Platform PCI: I/O protocol version 1
        [    0.000000] Netfront and the Xen platform PCI driver have been
compiled for this kernel: unplug emulated NICs.
        [    0.000000] Blkfront and the Xen platform PCI driver have been
compiled for this kernel: unplug emulated disks.

which means you will need the xen-netfront driver to be loaded, I don't
see any logs to that effect. What does lsmod say? What about "ifconfig
-a". Does the driver even exist on the live cd under /lib/modules
somewhere?

It's a bit odd that you still have vifX.Y-emu in dom0 given that the
emulated device is supposed to have been unplugged. I wonder if that is
a (separate) bug with emu device unplug. Which qemu was this again?

If you added xen_emul_unplug=never to your guest command line then you
would avoid this unplug and you should have an emulated NIC available
instead.

Ian.