Re: [Xen-devel] Multicall result missing sign extension in Xen or Linux

On 08/03/2012 03:00 PM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> On 08/03/2012 11:57 AM, Daniel De Graaf wrote:
>> While trying to figure out why a failing component of a multicall did not
>> properly return its result, I discovered that multicall results are not
>> sign-extended when placed in the unsigned long result field. For hypercalls
>> such as do_mmu_update which return a (signed) int, this results in Linux
>> incorrectly thinking the hypercall succeeded when it has actually failed
>> since arch/x86/xen/multicalls.c uses a signed long for "result" and checks
>> (b->entries[i].result < 0).
>>
>> Is this a bug in Xen (using the wrong return type for do_mmu_op and other
>> hypercalls) or in Linux (assuming all returns are signed longs)? One or the
>> other needs to be changed, because the current setup is silently hiding
>> failed memory mapping operations.
>>

> Ah, that explains a long-standing mystery for me that I never got around
> to investigating.
>
> If Xen is populating a 64-bit result with non-signed-extended 32-bit
> result, then it sounds like a Xen bug, but one that's effectively baked
> into the ABI now.  Is there any risk of the unextended 32bit error being
> ambiguously confused with a legitimate result?

There are hypercalls which will return a value that corresponds to a 32-bit
error result - XENMEM_current_reservation, for example - but these are not
likely to be called as part of a multicall. Most of the multicall users
return zero, error, or a count.

--
Daniel De Graaf
National Security Agency