Re: [Xen-devel] NUMA TODO-list for xen-devel

If there were a lwn.net equivalent for Xen, I'd be pushing to get
quoted on the following:

"Virtualization: You can have flexibility or you can have performance.
Pick one."

A couple of years ago when NUMA was first being extensively discussed
for Xen, I suggested that this should really be a "top level" flag
that a sysadmin should be able to select: Either optimize for
performance or optimize for flexibility.  Then Xen and the Xen tools
should "do the right thing" depending on the selection.

I still think this is a good way to surface the tradeoffs for
a very complex problem to the vast majority of users/admins.
Clearly they will want "both" but forcing the choice will
provoke more thought about their use model, as well as provide
important guidance to the underlying implementations.