Re: [Xen-devel] Xen and 4K Sectors (was blkback and bcache)

  • To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:25:07 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-AU, en-US
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:25:36 +0000

> I think the problem is definitely related to the 4K sector issue.
>
> qemu appears to always present 512 byte sectors, thus only booting from a
> 512 byte sector partition table. Once the PV drivers take over though it all
> falls down because PV drivers are passed a 4K sector size and nothing
> matches up anymore.
>
> What is the solution here? Do I just tell windows that we have a 512 byte
> sector and put up with the potential loss of performance?

I just came across this...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982018

I guess Windows doesn't support 4K disks after all, so I'll emulate 512 byte
sectors and fake whatever scsi interface is required to tell windows that the
disk is 4K but emulating 512 bytes.

James