Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 release planning proposal

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 07:50:53AM -0700, Andres Lagar-Cavilla wrote:

> > Hello everyone!  With the completion of our first few release candidates
> > for 4.2, it's time to look forward and start planning for the 4.3
> > release.  I've volunteered to step up and help coordinate the release
> > for this cycle.
> Hi George. Great idea. Cutting to the chase below
>

> An observation: the three below really sound like xapi or libvirt tasks.

libxl probably needs to provide the necessary "hooks" so that snapshots
can have synchronized cpu/mem/disk states.. or what do you think?

.. and the necessary bits for being able to do storage live migration..
this is an often asked feature.

If you have thoughts how to best implement these, let us know!
It'd be good to have these available also in xl, not only on the higher level
toolstacks.

> > * Full-VM snapshotting
> >   owner: ?
> >   Have a way of coordinating the taking and restoring of VM memory and
> >   disk snapshots.  This would involve some investigation into the best
> >   way to accomplish this.
> >
> > * VM Cloning
> >   owner: ?
> >   Again, a way of coordinating the memory and disk aspects.  Research
> >   into the best way to do this would probably go along with the
> >   snapshotting feature.
> >
> > * Make storage migration possible
> >   owner: ?
> >   There needs to be a way, either via command-line or via some hooks,
> >   that someone can build a "storage migration" feature on top of libxl
> >   or xl.

-- Pasi