Re: [Xen-devel] Introducing O.S. system level virtualization in Xen

After some research and discussion with our project mentor, the possible improvements that we may get by developing our model compared with simply running OpenVZ on Xen will be very less.
This leads to reducing the use case of the whole project very much.
So we are planning to drop this idea.

But we are also open for discussion, which might help to develop some useful idea for community.

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Kumar Sukhani <kumarsukhani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 1:51 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 12:31 AM, Kumar Sukhani <kumarsukhani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > So we are planning to introduce features of O.S. level virtualization
> > in Xen, by proposing one integrated architecture[1] having Operating
> > system virtualization over one of the VM of Xen.
> > Please review our architecture and let us know whether it is worth to
> > implement it or not.
> >
> > [1] http://www.flickr.com/photos/84959360@N02/7782516274/in/photostream
>

> How is this "integrated"?
>
> For example, what is the difference of that proposal with running lxc
> on an Ubuntu domU (which you can already do)?
>
> --
> Fajar

We are planning to do the same thing but with a different approach,
which will be some what efficient.
[Note: I am assuming we are using lxc for O.S. level virtualization,
even though we can use any other platform].

Consider one scenario:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/84959360@N02/7795262950/in/photostream/

Simple case:
       Here for xen their are 3 V.M.s running
       1) Dom 0
       2) Dom 1 (lxc)
       3) Dom 2 (windows)

Modified case:
       Here we will modify the lxc implementation to make it aware
that its running over xen in virtualize mode and will also make some
changes in hypervisor and Dom0 to make it aware that we are also
having one or more VMs running over Dom1.
       So hypervisor and Dom0 will be aware that total 5 V.M.s are running.

Few Advantages:
       1. This implementation will make the distribution of resources
simple, because xen is aware of how much actual VMs are running.
       2. Process migration of VMs(running over lxc) will be possible
here in the case like, we want to migrate VM to other hardware where
lxc might not be available.

[Note: It will also have all the advantages of O.S. level virtualization].
--
Be Happy Always
+919579650250

--