Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.2.0 won't boot with FC17 dom0 on Dell Optiplex 790, boots fine with 4.1.3

> From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
>
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 03:22:40PM -0700, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
> > Anybody else see this: a FC17 dom0 which boots fine for 4.1.3
> > crashes early in boot with Xen 4.2.0-rc4?
> >
> > The hardware is a new Dell Optiplex 790 which I've noticed has a couple
> > of idiosyncrasies when booting recent upstream versions of Linux:
> > 1) reboot=pci is required or reboot hangs
> > 2) reducing visible memory via memmap= on a Linux command line is
> >    fairly difficult (requires a very complex sequence of Linux boot
> >    parameters, presumably due to a weird e820 RAM map in this hardware)
> >
> > These idiosyncrasies may or may not be related to the dom0 crash,
> > just mentioning them in case they suggest an easy workaround.
>
> What happens if you run with 'console=vga vga=text,keep' on the
> hypervisor line and on the Linux command line: 'console=hvc0
> earlyprink=xen debug loglevel=8'

Ah, good, thanks for the pointer.  Haven't had to do that in awhile.
The dom0 tombstone has an xsave_init call in it... I tried booting
with xsave=0 as a Xen boot parameter and I can now boot 4.2.0-rc4
with FC17 dom0.

Sorry for the noise.

Thanks,
Dan