Re: [Xen-devel] xend/xm on 4.1/4.2 on Fedora (FC17)

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012, Dan Magenheimer wrote:

From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2012 4:22 PM
To: Dan Magenheimer
Cc: Pasi Kärkkäinen; xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xend/xm on 4.1/4.2 on Fedora (FC17)

From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 02:08:49PM -0700, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
Is there a how-to for starting/running xm/xend on Fedora (FC17)?
Is it different for Xen 4.1 and 4.2?

I did find this:
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Common_Problems#Starting_xend_fails.3F
but it doesn't seem to help.  And this:
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Fedora_Host_Installation
only addresses xl.

I expect I need to do something manually to start xencommons or
something like that but obvious things don't seem to work,

How are you running this? When you boot up does it work? Or is this not
working after your restart xend couple of times?

and I'm not a FC17 expert at all.

service xend start

But you also need to enable it if it wasn't enabled using systemd.
The syntax was something like (look at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SysVinit_to_Systemd_Cheatsheet)

systemctl enable xend.service

(thought it might not be called xend but something else).

That was one of the obvious things I tried, but it fails to start :-/

Are you running in graphical mode? If so see if there are some weird
SELinux warnings.

SELinux is disabled.  But yes, I am booting in graphical mode.

Hmmm... manually running "/usr/sbin/xend start" seems to work though.
I guess that is all I need as I can start it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

Strange, it is usually selinux that breaks xend. If you run
systemctl status xend.service
it should give you some indication of what went wrong.

Note that
systemctl enable xend.service
enables xend on boot (it is off by default in the package because xend is being deprecated), to start it by hand you need
systemctl start xend.service

        Michael Young