Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-users] Xen 4.2.0 Release Plan / TODO

On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 09:37 +0100, Mark van Dijk wrote:
> Back when I used xm I remember using the 'xm reset' command that just
> simply emulates a manual press of the reset button. By coincidence,
> today I found xl lacks this command. In effect I think all it does is
> 'xl destroy', wait until the domain is properly released and then 'xl
> create' it again. This is a bit more convenient than manually issuing
> both commands because the time it takes to destroy a VM varies.

I can see how that would be useful.

I think it is now too late for 4.2.0 (although it might depend on the
patch) but if someone were to produce a patch for 4.3 we could consider
a backport for 4.2.1.

I think you would just need to expose a libxl function which ended up
doing "xc_domain_shutdown(CTX->xch, domid, SHUTDOWN_reboot)". This would
kill the domain and set its shutdown reason to SHUTDOWN_reboot which
would signal the xl daemon monitoring the domain to restart it.

Wire that libxl function up to xl reset (add it to xl_cmdtable.c,
xl_cmdimpl.c and docs/man/xl.cfg.pod.1) and you are good to go, I think.

Let me know if you want to give it a go and require more guidance.

Ian.