Re: [Xen-devel] xl / xend feature parity: Missing '-a' option for xl 'shutdown' to shutdown all domains

On Wed, 2012-09-05 at 11:43 +0100, Sander Eikelenboom wrote:
> The docs say you have to supply a domain_id as argument.
> But if you supply a domain_name instead it works as well.

xl(1) says "domain-id is the numeric domain id, or the domain name
(which will be internally translated to domain id)"

> But what if i'm stupid enough to give my domain a number as name (which seems
> to be allowed/possible)

> In that case i can't shut it down by name:
>
> serveerstertje:~# xl list
> Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs      State
> Time(s)
> Domain-0                                     0  1024     6     r-----
> 22318.7
> media                                       12   256     1     -b----
> 73.0
> webproxy                                    14   768     5     -b----
> 41385.2
> www                                         15   507     2     -b----
> 670.8
> 13                                          17   256     1     -b----
> 3.2
>
> 13                                          17   256     1     -b----
> 3.2
> serveerstertje:~# xl shutdown 13
> 13 is an invalid domain identifier (rc=-6)

I think this is a case of Don't Do That Then. If you want a patch to the
manpage clarifying that users should avoid purely numeric domain names
that would be nice.