Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.2.0-rc4 issues with DVB tuner

  • To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Javier Marcet <jmarcet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 17:02:28 +0200
  • Cc: Xen Devel Mailing list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:03:17 +0000

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
<konrad@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Are there any warnings or such being printed? Are the interrupts
>> > increasing?
>> > Does lspci show anything 'disabled' in the guest?
>>
>> You have misunderstood me. I was trying to access the dvb tuners from the
>> dom0.
>
> Ah.
>>
>> Using kvm I have sucessfully passthrough a sata controller, but have some
>> issues
>> passin through the dvb tuner.

>> > I've a 4 channel security card passed in and it works nicely. The
>> > trick is that you need 'iommu=soft' on the domU command line.
>>
>> All right. But is it normal that it does not work under the dom0?
>
> No. PV domU and PV dom0 are pretty much the same in the way of handling
> interrupts, ports, etc.

Just as I guessed.

> If you crank up the debug level of the kernel (debug loglevel=8) and
> of the driver do you get anything obvious? What about the questions
> I've asked?

So far I haven't found anything worth mentioning.

All pci devices are enabled, interrupts look normal and there isn't any
kind of warning or error message. The only thing you notice is that
the tuner produces nearly no data. I say nearly because you get some
bytes, albeit nothing like the several megabits per second it should output.

I'll try increasing the debug level and report back.

By the way, that problem I had about the cpu capabilities is not Xen's fault,
it is a bug within libvirt.

--
Javier Marcet <jmarcet@xxxxxxxxx>