Re: [Xen-devel] [User Question] KVM and VirtualBox in Xen Dom0

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 09:44:41AM +0200, Lukas Laukamp wrote:
> Am 2012-09-20 09:36, schrieb Pasi Kärkkäinen:
> >On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 09:11:44AM +0200, Lukas Laukamp wrote:
> >>Hello all,
> >>
> >>I have a simple user question but it's very technical and related to
> >>the Xen core. Does KVM and VirtualBox work in a Xen Dom0 with Xen
> >>4.2? So I would like to create a VM Host for deploying VM templates
> >>which are compatible to the most solutions and host systems and I
> >>think that Xen, KVM/QEmu and VirtualBox are the best choice for
> >>this.
> >>
> >>Would be great when this is possible or could be implemented. Hope
> >>that someone can give me an answer.
> >>

> >Nope, KVM or VirtualBox won't work in Xen dom0.
> >
> >But you can use Xen Nested Hardware Virtualization and run
> >KVM/VirtualBox in Xen HVM guest.
> >This is a "tech preview" currently.
> >
> >-- Pasi
>
> Hello,
>
> ok, this would be possible with Xen 4.2?

In Xen 4.2.0 I think Nested Virt should work on AMD CPUs,
but Intel CPUs require some additional patches that aren't yet in 4.2 branch.

> And would it be possible to implement something that KVM and VirtualBox work
> in a Xen Dom0?

Why do you want to run them in dom0 ?

> Is this a task for the Xen development or something for the Linux
> kernel,, KVM or VirtualBox?

I think it *might* be possible when Xen PVH (Hybrid) is merged to Xen 4.3,
which basically allows running Xen dom0 in HVM container.

-- Pasi