Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 development update

On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 03:07 +0100, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> George Dunlap wrote:
> > On 20/09/12 22:20, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> >> Chun Yan Liu was working on a patch to implement migration in the
> >> libvirt libxl
> >> driver, but she wasn't able to finish tidying the patch before
> >> departing on
> >> maternity leave.  She recently returned to work and I'd expect a
> >> refreshed patch
> >> soon - after working through her backlog.
> >>
> >> But why is libvirt integration listed as a Xen 4.3 feature?  AFAIK,
> >> all of this
> >> work is in libvirt and really doesn't have much to do with the
> >> release of 4.3.
> > For one, as Ian said, we want xl/libxl to be the default toolstack in
> > 4.3; as soon as possible we want to remove xend.
>
> Good :).
>

> > But from a broader perspective, the idea is for the Xen.org community
> > to be thinking strategically about the success of the Xen project as a
> > whole.  Things like distro support and libvirt integration are
> > absolutely critical to Xen's success in the open-source ecosystem.  So
> > while we don't have to do everything ourselves, we want to think about
> > what things need to be done, track them to make sure that *someone*
> > does them; and be prepared to pick them up ourselves if necessary.
> > And it just makes more sense to track everything on one list.
> >
> > Does that make sense?
>
> Yes, it does.  I'm actually quite happy to hear this statement of
> support for the broader ecosystem!

BTW, I've been meaning to ask, and it's kind of the flipside of this so
I'll mention it here -- would it be possible for you (or whoever is
sending patches) to CC xen-devel with Xen related patches to libvirt?

Partly just to raise the visibility of the libvirt integration on the
Xen side but also at least I am interested to see how libxl is being
used outside of xl and what sorts of issues etc you guys are having. I
suppose there would also be other benefits to review from libxl folks of
patches which consume the APIs.

Thanks,
Ian.