Re: [Xen-devel] 4.1.2 very slow without upstream patches, but fast with them, also 4.2 very slow

On 10/04/2012 04:25 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 10:05:24PM +0200, Peter Maloney wrote:
>> I also tested:
>> modprobe xen-acpi-processor
> You didn't say what kind of CPU you have. Nor if you compiled
> your kernel or if you used a distros' kernel.
>
> One thing (just to eliminate this being a power management issue),
> is to do this on the Linux command line:
>
> xen-acpi-processor.off=1
>
> It would also help if you provided the .config you are using. There
> are some options you should not have one (like XEN_DEBUGFS.. something).

AMD FX-8150
990 FX chipset
I compiled the for-linus branch of cmason's linux-btrfs git repo (
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mason/linux-btrfs.git
for-linus )

Here's some hardware info: http://pastebin.com/XUZjmiVz
Here's the kernel config: http://pastebin.com/1GQbiFZE (only weird thing
I set was CONFIG_NR_CPUS=16 for no particular reason; default was 512 or
256)

3d stuff works fine (other than no es1370 sound device support) and fast
in windows8 preview also, without that 0fps 'warmup' / 'hicup' thing
happening (apparently as new textures are loading), which I wrote about
before in IRC but not in the mailing list.

At some point I plan on also testing:
- builds between 4.1 and xen 4.2 to find where the 32 bit windowsxp
starts going slow
- a 64 bit windows xp if I can find one... I don't have one at the moment
- a 32 bit windows 8 preview (I assume I can just download this like 64
bit win8 preview)