Re: [Xen-devel] Is: axe read_tscp pvops call. Was: Re: [RFC] ACPI S3 and Xen (suprisingly small\!).

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 08:56:40AM -0700, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
> I agree the whole idea of paravirtualization is a hack, but it is a
> hack to workaround some poor architectural design decisions many years
> ago by Intel processor designers who should have known better. Go yell
> at them.
>
> Worse, the rdtscp instruction was a poor design decision by AMD
> processor designers to hack around tsc skew problems. Go yell at them
> too.
>
> And both Intel and AMD chose to perpetuate the problem with a
> complicated VT/SVM implementation that will never perform as well as
> native. At least they tried ;-)

Looks like xen people seem to know better so maybe they should design
their own processor, add xen support for it and leave the linux kernel
alone so that both camps can finally get on with their lives.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.