Re: [Xen-devel] Proposed new "memory capacity claim" hypercall/feature

(sorry for the delayed response)

Aren't we getting a little sidetracked here?  (Maybe my fault for
looking at whether this specific loop is fast enough...)

This loop handles only order=N chunks of RAM.  Speeding up this
loop and holding the heap_lock here for a shorter period only helps
the TOCTOU race if the entire domain can be allocated as a
single order-N allocation.

Domain creation is supposed to succeed as long as there is
sufficient RAM, _regardless_ of the state of memory fragmentation,
correct?

So unless the code for the _entire_ memory allocation path can
be optimized so that the heap_lock can be held across _all_ the
allocations necessary to create an arbitrary-sized domain, for
any arbitrary state of memory fragmentation, the original
problem has not been solved.

Or am I misunderstanding?

I _think_ the claim hypercall/subop should resolve this, though
admittedly I have yet to prove (and code) it.

Thanks,
Dan