Re: [Xen-devel] Virtual Networking

On Wed, 2012-11-07 at 23:33 +0000, Joseph Glanville wrote:
> On 8 November 2012 07:49, Ben Eyres <bmeyres@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This is probably quite a vague and simple question but here goes...Can
> > anyone tell me where in the Xen-4.2.0 source files i can find source code
> > for the virtual switching (Vif/Pif')? This is the first time i have worked
> > with the Xen source code so struggling to work my way around the system.
>
> The virtual switching is not done by Xen but rather by the Linux
> bridge module or Open vSwitch etc.
> If you are interested in how virtual adapters are created and packets
> transfered from domU to domO I suggest looking at the Linux source
> tree in drivers/net/ for netback/netfront.

Also http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Networking should provide a useful
guide to how the various bits work together.

The use of the Vif/Pif terminology makes me wonder if you are using
xapi/XCP -- in which case you may find the xen-api@ list is more likely
to have people who can point you to the code which manages those in the
xapi toolstack.

Ian.