Re: [Xen-devel] Proposed new "memory capacity claim" hypercall/feature

>>> On 08.11.12 at 20:16, Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>  From: Jan Beulich [mailto:JBeulich@xxxxxxxx]
>> >
>> > That alone may still be an argument for restricting the batch size from the
>> > toolstack?
>>
>> Yes, this clearly prohibits unlimited batches. But not being able to
>> schedule should be less restrictive than not being able to run
>> softirqs, so I'd still put under question whether the limit shouldn't
>> be bumped.
>
> Wait, please define unlimited.

Unlimited as in unlimited.

> I think we are in agreement from previous discussion that, to solve
> the TOCTOU race, the heap_lock must be held for the entire allocation
> for a domain creation.  True?

That's only one way (and as Keir already responded, not one
that we should actually pursue).

The point about being fast enough was rather made to allow
a decision towards the feasibility of intermediately disabling
tmem (or at least allocations originating from it) in particular
(I'm not worried about micro-allocations - the tool stack has to
provide some slack in its calculations for this anyway).

Jan