[Xen-devel] .vhd will not boot in VM

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Juan Lorenzana" <juan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 04:01:36 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 08:31:47 +0000

We had a XCP 1.5 pool with 2 machines as hosts.  The storage pool which as NFS mounted lost its ability to export the filesystem with the VM images on it.

We contacted the vendor and we were able to restore it.  However, they had recommended that we delete the XCP Pool, recreate it, add the hosts back in, and then mount the storage.

That is where we are at now.  We can see the storage and the VM images.  However in XCP Xen Center when looking at the images is clear that the metadata is lost.  So we can not see which image or snap shot belongs to which VM.  The names all are blank when we look at the storage.

Also, if I randomly mount an image to a VM, it does not boot.  It produces an error that says:

Traceback (most recent call last): - File “/usr/binpygrub”, line 808, in ? – fs = fsimage.open(file,part_offs[0[, bootfsoptions) – IOError: [Errno 95] Operation not supported.

The system kept the VM information as we destroyed the pool and then created a new one but it looks like we only see snapshots through XenCenter.  Its like the real .vhd that were running are not showing up.

I know it is pretty bad.  We should not have listened to the storage guys.

Does anyone know someone that can help?

Juan