Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC/PATCH] XENMEM_claim_pages (subop of an existing) hypercall

On 15/11/2012 11:23, "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On Tue, 2012-11-13 at 22:23 +0000, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
>>> This is a first cut of the hypervisor patch of the proposed
>>> XENMEM_claim_pages hypercall/subop.
>>
>> Who is expected to be able to call this? I think a XENMEM subop implies
>> that the guest itself, plus perhaps any controlling stubdom (e.g. qemu)
>> could call
>> it, which I don't think is desirable.
>>
>> Should this be limited to the toolstack only and therefore be a subop of
>> domctl or some other hypercall?
>
> Oh, yes, absolutely. Whether making it a domctl (where it doesn't
> belong except for that aspect) I'm not that sure, though.

It can stay as a XENMEM_ subop, but it should be in the
__XEN__||__XEN_TOOLS__ section of public/memory.h indicating that it is
toolstack only (regardless of whether we actually enforce that), and that
the interface is not 100% guaranteed to remain compatible (since it is not
part of the general guest ABI).

 -- Keir