Re: [Xen-devel] Reentrant NMIs, MCEs and interrupt stack tables.

At 21:06 +0000 on 21 Nov (1353532004), Andrew Cooper wrote:
> Hello,
>
> While working on a fix for the rare-but-possible problem of reentrant
> NMIs and MCEs, I have discovered that it is sadly possible to generate
> fake NMIs and MCEs which will run the relevant handlers on the relevant
> stacks, without invoking any of the other CPU logic for these special
> interrupts.
>
> A fake NMI can be generated by a processor in PIC mode as opposed to
> Virtual wire mode, with a delivery of vector 2.  This setup is certainly
> possible on a 64bit CPU, but I doubt there are many 64bit CPUs running
> with only PIC.
>
> A fake MCE is easy to generate.  A mal-programmed IO-APIC, IOMMU or
> MSI/MSI-X entry which deliveres vector 0x18 is sufficient.  The LAPIC
> will reject vectors 0 thru 0xf, but will deliver vectors 0x10 thru 0x1f,
> despite them being architecturally reserved for exceptions.

You're not suggesting these could be caused by guest activity?

> The possibility of these fake interrupts (however unlikely) means that
> there is necessarily a race condition between receiving a fake interrupt
> and a genuine interrupt during which the handler cannot fixup the stack
> sufficiently to be able to safely get back out.  If this race condition
> were to occur, the real interrupt will corrupt the exception frame of
> the fake interrupt, meaning that we cannot possibly resume the original
> context.  This situation can be detected, but cannot be corrected, and
> the only course of action is to crash gracefully.

If once of these could only be casued by a bug in Xen, then I don't think
we need to handle it at all.  If it's trivial to detect it and crash
cleanly, that would be nice.

> The above problem made me wonder why we use separate stacks for NMIs and
> MCEs.  I completely accept that the double fault handler should be on a
> separate stack, but as we guarentee never to return from it, these
> problems disappear.
>
> Is there any particular reason to have separate stacks for NMIs and
> MCEs, other than perhaps that it is good/common practice?

It's to avoid a race where we take an NMI or MCE after swicthhing to the
user/guest stack but before SYSRET.

Tim.