Re: [Xen-devel] Xen.efi and secure boot

On 30/11/12 10:42, George Dunlap wrote:
On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx <mailto:JBeulich@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    So I learned a little more meanwhile - it's not that trivial: I'm told
    the shim uses UEFI services to do the verification, and those
    services only handle PE images. But we obviously can't reasonably
    expect the Dom0 kernel to be packaged as PE image, as that
    would then be unusable as DomU kernel (on older hosts at least,
    i.e. even if we added a PE loader to libxc).

Sorry for the n00b question, but what's a PE image in this context?
I think this refers to the Microsoft PE (portable executable) file format - that is, the file should be like a .EXE or .DLL on windows.

I wish I thought I was wrong here, but I'm afraid that MS solutions are rather popular in some camps... Further searching seems to confirm that PE is indeed "standard format" for EFI.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Executable

--
Mats

 -George