Re: [Xen-devel] Only one CPU core detected when booting on UEFI

>>> On 17.12.12 at 03:07, Xiao-Long Chen <chenxiaolong@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Xen developers,
>
> I have been having a problem where only one CPU core is being detected.
> I'm using a Lenovo W520 with a UEFI firmware and an Intel Core i7
> 2720qm (4 real cores, 4 virtual cores). When I boot, I see
> "Dom0 has maximum 1 VCPUs", or something similar, scroll by.
>
> In addition, only 10 GB out of my 12 GB of memory is recognized and
> ACPI is not working properly (CPU frequency scaling and battery info
> are not reported).
>
> This problem has been reported before (for the same laptop too) here:
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-06/msg00087.html but
> unfortunately, the person who sent the message didn't reply with more
> information.

And the solution had already been discussed on the list too -
depending on how you do things currently (not judgeable from
the incomplete set of logs you provided), switch to using xen.efi
rather than booting through GrUB2, and/or use a kernel that is
actually EFI-capable (the upstream one continues to require out
of tree patches).

Jan