Re: [Xen-devel] [PVH]: Help: msi.c

> > > Given that dom0 should never write to the MSI-X table, introducing a new
> >
> > How does this work with QEMU setting up MSI and MSI-X on behalf of
> > guests? Or is that actually handled by Xen hypervisor?
>
> In the case of HVM guests, QEMU emulates the PCI config space and the
> table, so it is OK for the guest to write to it.
>

> > > msi_ops that replaces msix_program_entries (or at least the part of
> > > msix_program_entries that masks all the entried) is the only solution
> > > left.
> >
> > so this one (__msix_mask_irq):
> >
> >          mask_bits &= ~PCI_MSIX_ENTRY_CTRL_MASKBIT;
> >  198         if (flag)
> >  199                 mask_bits |= PCI_MSIX_ENTRY_CTRL_MASKBIT;
> >  200         writel(mask_bits, desc->mask_base + offset);
> >

> Yes, that's the one. Once could argue that __msix_mask_irq should call
> mask_irq rather than writing to the table directly.

You mean 'irq_mask ' ? Not really - that is within the IOAPIC domain.

To be more generic it should encompass then also the other usages -
that is the 'readl' and 'writel' users.

My understading of the reason we have been fortunate enough to have this
working right now is b/c the hypercall we do beforehand writes the
'pirq' in the MSI-X BAR and that is later what the Linux kernel
does (by doing readl) -  and we end up re-writing that value
by the Linux kernel.

The other thing we can do and entirely bypass the msi.c writes is
xen_initdom_setup_msi_irqs make the desc->mask_base point to
somewhere safe. Meaning point to an page we allocate when
we setup the IRQs and we fill it with whatever we want
(which I guess would be the pirq values we just got).