Re: [Xen-devel] [BUG]: when using `xl restore`,xc_evtchn_alloc_unbound will raise this error

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Wei Liu <Wei.Liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2012-12-28 at 03:13 +0000, 马磊 wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 8:41 PM, Wei Liu <Wei.Liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         On Thu, 2012-12-27 at 02:12 +0000, 马磊 wrote:
>         >
>         > I got it, but the error `  xc: error: do_evtchn_op:
>         > HYPERVISOR_event_channel_op failed: -1 (3 = No such
>         process): Internal
>         > error. ` said no such process, the system error description
>         > didn't seem has anything to do with the following lines wich
>         raised
>         >  85    state->store_port = xc_evtchn_alloc_unbound(ctx->xch,
>         domid,
>         > 0);
>         >  86    state->console_port =
>         xc_evtchn_alloc_unbound(ctx->xch, domid,
>         > 0);
>

>         The error code -1 is -EPERM, which means you don't have
>         permission to
>         issue this operation. I don't think this is a bug. There might
>         be some
>         problems with your setup.
>
>         If you need any pointer in reading source code, I will be
>         happy to help.
>

>         Wei.
>
>     Thanks for your kindness!
>

>     I looked into the functions for logging, in this case,  `3 = No
> such process` was from `errno` and the ` HYPERVISOR_event_channel_op
> failed: -1 ` was from hypervisor-level
> error(src/xen/common/event_channel.c).
> In my option, that's to say, error number of -1 was caused by
> hypervisor; but what was the error number of 3 caused by,  dom0?
> Do both the two error numbers refer to the description defined in
> errno.h or else hypervisor has its own error description?

I think the two files are mostly the same, but to be sure you need to
look into the source file in both Linux and Xen. You should start from
the hypervisor level, find out why it returns -EPERM. Root user in Dom0
has nothing to do with privilege in hypervisor level.

Wei.

The scene is that there are more than 10 processes, each process calls `xl restore` to start a VM where a virus sample will run to detect the sample's behaviour  about every 120 seconds.
For a long time, such as 5 days or 15 days, the xen server where the processes run will raise this error with a certain probability.
Maybe it has something to do with the hypervisor's stability.