Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable] 26319: libcacard error

On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 05:11 +0000, yanxiaoliang@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> hello, everyone, I got  some problems as below when i compiled
> a xen-unstable  src .
>
> ./configure
> make xen
> It was ok until here.
> But when  "make tools"
> It showed

Please can you give a more complete log, specifically including the
actual gcc invocation which resulted in this error message.

> /usr/bin/ld: libcacard/.libs/vcard.o: relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against
> `vcard_delete_applet' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile
> with -fPIC
> /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[4]: *** [libcacard.la] Error 1
> make[3]: *** [subdir-libcacard] Error 2
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/xen-unstable.hg/tools/qemu-xen-dir-remote'
> make[2]: *** [subdir-all-qemu-xen-dir] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/xen-unstable.hg/tools'
> make[1]: *** [subdirs-install] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/xen-unstable.hg/tools'
> make: *** [install-tools] Error 2
>
> Could anyone give me some advices ?

This sort of error is typically specific to the version of gcc and/or
the distro -- what are you using?

It seems likely that his is an upstream qemu issue, but it's not clear
to me why this appears to not happen anywhere else (according to
google). It's possible that this functionality is just not widely used?
It might be useful to raise this on qemu-devel.

As a workaround in the meantime you could try adding --disable-smartcard
to the invocation of configure in tools/Makefile, or perhaps
--disable-smartcard-nss would do the trick.

Removing the libnss library (the smart card one) package from your
system would also work around the issue, if that is possible.

Ian.