Re: [Xen-devel] Is it possible to follow a rebooted domain (with a different ID)?

On Mon, 2013-01-07 at 10:48 +0000, Razvan Cojocaru wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an application, running in dom0 userspace, that receives
> mem_events about a domU HVM guest. At some point, the HVM guest (a
> Windows machine) restarts, at which point I need to shut down my
> userspace application, find it's new ID (with 'xm list'), then re-start
> my application passing the new ID as a parameter.
>
> What I'd like to be able to do is to automatically follow the domain
> after it has started again. Is it possible to do this from dom0
> userspace (using libxc), and if it is, how?
>
> A related question is this: is it possible to get notifications from
> userspace about a new domU that's just been started (regardless of
> whether it's a reboot of a previously watched domU or not)?

I don't think this can be done using just libxc.

xenstore fires @introduceDomain and @releaseDomain pseudo-watches when
domains come and go. They don't tell you which so you would need to
track the domain you are interested in yourself (libxl has some helpers
for this sort of thing I think).

I'm not sure how to map from the old domid to the new one other than by
following the name or uuid.

Ian.