Re: [Xen-devel] hvm_emulate_one() usage

I was very much hoping to be able to do this with only one (page fault)
mem_event per emulated write instruction.

I'm sure that can be done.  The trick is to make sure the emulation
happens in the guest context (i.e. when the guest is scheduled).  You
could do that by (e.g.) defining a new mem_access type 'single-step
writes' where a write fault triggers a single-step emulation in the
fault handler as well as an asynchronous mem-event.

That's what I'm doing now (albeit with the plain MEM_EVENT_REASON_VIOLATION) - I'm emulating the write in p2m_mem_access_check(), where I'm in the guest context, just before putting the mem_event in the ring buffer.

The problem is, I don't want to do that. :) I want to stop certain writes _before_ they happen, and emulating the write instruction there first performs the write, and then notifies dom0 userspace about it. The ideal sequence would be: 1. notify userspace about a would-be write, 2. get the reply from userspace, 3. only write if userspace said OK. The point is that I don't know if the write should be allowed to happen or not until userspace replies.

Thanks,
Razvan Cojocaru