[Xen-devel] Ever increasing time offset for HVM domain / Huge amounts of drift

  • To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Phil Evans <Phil.Evans@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 13:37:01 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 13:38:13 +0000

Hi,

I am currently running Xen 4.2.1 (this has also happened in 4.2.0 as well).  We
have been having a major problem with sometimes huge amounts of clock drift in
Windows VMs.  Sometimes the clock on a VM could suddenly jump by over a week
(usually forwards, however time has been known to go backwards as well).

Now I don’t profess to know the internals of Xen, however through my
investigation I believe I have a degree of knowledge of what could be causing
the problem.

The steps to reproduce this (for me at least), is to simply do a manual NTP
sync on a Windows VM.  Upon monitoring the qemu-dm log file for the VM, I see
similar to the following:

Time offset set 489, added offset 480
Time offset set 436, added offset -53
Time offset set 496, added offset 60
Time offset set 494, added offset -2
Time offset set 554, added offset 60
Time offset set 565, added offset 11
Time offset set 606, added offset 41
Time offset set -1974, added offset -2580
Time offset set 1626, added offset 3600
Time offset set 1579, added offset -47
Time offset set 1639, added offset 60

It seems to add the same number of seconds to the offset as has passed since
the last sync.  The offset just keeps on increasing, eventually resulting in
huge numbers equating to days.  Occasionally the offset may jump a bit and go
down but the general trend is up.  Although this does not affect the VM
immediately, at some point I am guessing it syncs itself with the CMOS clock
(which is now a large number of seconds offset from the actual time), resulting
in a huge jump in time.  A reboot is a guaranteed way to get the new, incorrect
time.

Although I do not understand all of the underlying code, I presume the correct
way this should work is it should be comparing the CMOS time that’s just been
set with the hardware clock on the physical machine, resulting in an offset
between the two.  This would result in a generally stable number (ideally 0).
Obviously it is incorrect behaviour for the number to keep going up.  To my
mind it looks like it may be somehow getting an inaccurate time from the system
(in many cases a fixed time rather than an up-to-date current time).

Does anyone have any light they may be able to shed on this?  Is it possible it
could be struggling to get an accurate time from the hardware?  I have checked
on several occasions and both the system time and the BIOS clock are spot on.

Regards,
Phil.