Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 development update, and stock-taking

On 17/01/13 16:14, Jan Beulich wrote:
Therefore, if we want Ubuntu+Xen to have the same functionality as
Ubuntu w/o Xen, then:
* When the dom0 kernel is signed, Xen will need to leave boot-time
services enabled
Once again - this is a no-go. All boot services memory got
reclaimed by the time Dom0 gets launched, so there's no way
for Dom0 to access boot services. Even Xen itself cannot
arbitrarily use them - they get turned of near the end of
efi_start(). Anything else is conceptually wrong, even if it
might be possible to be made work.

Right -- well "this is probably impossible" is different than, "you shouldn't need to". :-)

So unless we plan to handle the same quirks in Xen, we're going to need
to make it possible for dom0 to do it.
We will have to - see my other reply.
I suppose then we'll have to plan on it.

In that case, it would be good if, sometime in the next month or two, someone could take a look at exactly what these "quirks" are that Linux needs boot services for, and figure out whether we are likely to need them. I'll put that in a sort of "call to action", along with any other important features not currently on track to make it into 4.3.

 -George